Monday, March 9, 2009

She did it again



Welp she did it again folks. Jill went and got herself published in the Daily U again. If you would like to know what she had to say just take a little gander below:


Saved by the Bell

Because of the recent flood of letters complaining about the BYUSA elections, it seems that many people think the only reason people run is to win the scholarship and to pad their resume, which will help them get a job, get married and fine happiness and success (as suggested by the author of the March 4 letter, “Life Without BYUSA”). While I see no problem with joining together as a student body – or at least 10 percent of a student body – to support someone in achieving their dream of campus-wide fame as the figurehead leader of BYUSA, perhaps we should make sure their motivations are not tainted by promises of dollar signs and dates.

In an episode of “Saved by the Bell” (Season 1, Episode 13, “The Election”), Zack only runs for student body president for the free trip to Washington. When Mr. Belding tricks him into believing the trip has been canceled, Zack realizes he doesn’t actually want the job. Maybe we should trick all the candidates into believing they will receive no personal benefits from winning the election. Then only those with the purest of intentions will remain to be the face of BYU. But I ask you, would it really be so horrible for us to help these souls improve their resumes and dating lives?


There you have it. You may notice this is not the first time Saved by the Bell was used in Jill's letters to the editor. she says 'it's just that art imitates life.' Yes, she just referred to SBTB as art. I really believe that all of our best life lessons can be learned from SBTB.


P.S. Recently I’ve been feeling newly committed to our blog. I mean I sit in front of a computer all day and I rely on others blogs for entertainment to get me through the day so I feel I should be giving a little to the blogging universe rather than always just taking. We’ll see how long this feeling lasts.


One more thing. I had to speak in church yesterday. I hate speaking in church because of the amount of nervousness that overtakes me but yesterday wasn’t terrible. I only had one awkward moment where I lost my place and my face turned red but whatev. I would just like to give a shout out to Darren who helped me spice up my talk with sports analogies and another shout out to Cara who managed to included Zac Efron’s swoop bangs in her talk. It’s just that few can manage to get their bangs to look so good.

7 comments:

D said...

Did you hear Zac is going to do a brokeback mountain sequel? He's not even getting paid for it either. Seems odd to me, but he can do what he wants.

Valerie said...

Zac Efron and his coveted swoop bangs greet me every time I open my cupboard for a little snacky snack. Sometimes, I don't even need a snack after enjoying the treat it is to look into his eyes. A special thanks to Jillane for that wonderful gift.

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Jill...you did again. That is fantastic. I really, really, hope that you being published is a continual trend. And, I hope that SBTB references are a continual trend :) Janna, way to post!! I miss you guys!!!!!

Carrie said...

Jill--Congratulations on getting published, again. Thank you TBS for showing multiple episodes every afternoon for years.
Janna--I'm glad your talk went well. Tony says sports analogies are always the way to go, and he usually gets a good laugh when he uses one. Me? I just make fun of him for a cheap laugh or two.

And...is it just me, or does "D" sound a bit jealous of Zac? Probably 'cause he can't rock the swoop bangs. I bet a good hair straightener would do the trick though.

Jill said...

D that is a bold-faced lie. And what if he did grow out his hair and we straightened it. Remember when we straightened Luke's? Sick. Thank you TBS and WGN. If I ever publish one without a SBTB reference, there is a good chance DustinEvanCurrie submitted it in my name.

Cindy said...

Oops she did it again...

I'm so proud of you Jill!!! Keep the spirit of DU Letters alive!

And Janna, i hope your pledge to blogging isn't fake. i look forward to many more (and frequent) posts.

and i miss you. all of you.

Cindy said...

minus darren.

oh yes i just said that.