Friday, January 15, 2010

Puppies!


Especially one puppy in particular: Brandi (1996-2009), may she rest in peace.
She was the best pet we ever had, and not just because she is the only pet we've ever had. She started out as a pet, but really ended up being our youngest sister.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who accidentally would mix up Laura and Brandi's names.
She started as an "outside dog" because my parents didn't really want a dog living in the house. That lasted one night. After that, the doghouse was really just a lawn ornament. The she was only allowed in the family room level of the house. A gate separated her from the rest of the house. Then she just wasn't allowed in the kitchen or bedrooms. But little by little, she took over the entire house.
She used to pretend she didn't like to wear hats, but she got used to it, and maybe even embraced it.
Last time I was home I found a mullet wig that was far too small to fit any normal human head (though it did look quite adorable on nephew Will). Sure enough, it was Brandi's. She had such a great sense of humor.
She loved playing outside, hated all other canines, and got uncontrollably excited whenever I was wearing anything remotely resembling athletic shorts or running shoes. She loved my dad, showing off her teeth, and staring at you with her soulful brown eyes anytime you went near the bread in the kitchen.
Favorite words: outside, bread, daddy, mommy, potty, car, walk.
She was so tolerant
...most of the time (exception: nee nee finglies).










5 comments:

Carrie said...

I totally would call Laura Brandi at times. (Sorry, Laura). And, I think I LOL'd at the lawn ornament/dog house comment. Dad still doesn't want to get rid of it. haha

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Oh no! I am sorry!! Gracie is playing with Brandi up in heaven!
:(

On a lighter note, Janna, that coat post was totally for you. I almost dropped your name.

And Jill, don't you dare steal my children's names. JK already thieved Ginny, dang it.

The Cranes said...

I laughed through that whole thing. Especially the mention of Brandi's sense of humor. It really couldn't be topped.

Melanie said...

Hahaha! I laughed pretty much the whole time. I totally would call Laura Brandi while snapping my fingers at Laura. My b. I loved the hat comments. She looks so embarrassed in the first hat pic, but then so stylin and confident in the second hat pic. I want to take credit for the last 3 pics because I risked my fingers for those:)
Oh Brandi. How I miss that cuddly pooch of love.

Laura said...

She is just a peach. This made me laugh.
-
Love,
Brandi, oh whoops, I mean Laura :)